In Rockwood, we are proud to provide our students with healthy meals every school day. As part of our child nutrition program, we also work to keep families informed of fund balances in meal accounts.
Providing Healthy School Meals
Nourishing our Students: All Rockwood students have access to healthy meals. If students do not have adequate funds in their account, they will receive a balanced meal that includes a variety of protein, grains, fruits, vegetables and dairy. The USDA identifies this as a reimbursable lunch when children select at least three of the five items offered, with one selection being a fruit or vegetable.
Extras and à la Carte Items: If a student does not have adequate funds in the meal account, and he or she selects an unwrapped à la carte item (e.g., slice of pizza), the account will be charged for the item. If a student selects a pre-packaged à la carte item (e.g., flavored water, snacks or extra milk), he or she will be asked to return these items and choose the reimbursable meal.
Keeping Parents Informed of Account Balances
- On Tuesdays, Rockwood Child Nutrition will send an email message to parents/guardians who have children with negative account balances.
- At the school level, child nutrition managers will contact parents/guardians via a personal phone call or email message when the meal account has a negative balance of $10. When the meal account reaches a negative balance of $15 or more, managers will notify school administrators who will contact the parent/guardian.
- Elementary cafeteria managers will send meal money envelopes with a brief low balance memo to the student's teacher to be added to the student's weekly folder. Account balance information for elementary students will not be shared at the register, unless the student initiates a question about the account. Middle and high school cafeteria cashiers will inform students at the register when their account balance drops to $10 or less.
Helping Families Financially
The Rockwood School District participates in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs. This allows families the opportunity to apply for free-and-reduced meals benefits. Applications are available in your school's office and online or you can contact Rockwood Child Nutrition at (636) 733-3250.
Did You Know?
Families can stay informed about low balances in their child's meal accounts. Check out how to set low balance alerts on the free Rockwood mobile app or MySchoolBucks.
USDA Non-discrimination Statement:
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.
Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.
To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:
(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or
(3) email: email@example.com.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider.